Thursday, August 6, 2009

HELLO 26 !

Hello to all my IBEW brothers and sisters! My name is Greg Nicolas, I'm a second,almost third year apprentice. Hopefully I will be able to give anyone who's interested a realistic idea of the JATC apprenticeship.
First things first! I would like (need) to thank some people who helped me get here. My good friend, brother John Voden, who encouraged and convinced me to apply to the program. Brothers Rick Jackson and Dwyane Ladd at Heller Electric, who took the time to teach a VERY green rookie. Brother Mark Thompson-thanks for always showing me the bright side and just for being contagiously up-beat when I was feeling beat-up. I definately need to thank all of the insructors at the Lanham hall for the experience and knowledge that I'm actually getting paid to take! I'll need just one second to wipe this brown stuff off my nose. Last, and ABSOLUTELY LEAST, thank you to the few foreman who thought I wouldn't make it this far. Thank you for treating me as a sub-human. Thank you for not having the will or drive to teach, because you are one of my strongest motivations to succeed. You will be the subject of my first toast at my graduation. Surely I could go on with the thanks and what not for days, so let me just say that in my time in this union, I have met and worked with many, many fine people, thanks to all.
Before I became an apprentice, I was a journeyman meat cutter in local 400. After ten years of working retail hours and topping out a few dollars over scale, I realized that the opportunities for advancement were limited. When I learned about the apprenticeship(and A journeyman wages), everything became crystal clear. The only thing that kept me from making a change, was my fear of change. It was scary for me to think of leaving the comfort of a good paying job that I was very good at. But, with the support of my family and friends(thanks again John), I went from being the big fish in a little pond, to a tiny bottom feeder in the deep blue sea.
Well, I'm two full years in now, and I'm getting better every day. Alot of the pieces are fitting together, and things are starting to make alot more sense. What do ya' know, the program works! I just wish that I started this work a long time ago. All Ihave to do from here on out is learn and earn, no sweat.
Please tune in for the next episode where we'll learn about my school and work experience up to this point. Good-night.

No comments:

Post a Comment